For accounts on our original pricing plan, the usage UI lets you predictably track your data usage, and see how that may affect your pricing. This document explains how the subscription usage UI works, and how you can query and retrieve the usage data you need.
To view your usage data:
- If you are an account owner or admin, you can access subscription usage data in the New Relic UI.
- If you are not the account owner or admin, you can query usage data by using the
How it works
Owner and Admins
The subscription usage UI shows how much a New Relic product is being used, and how that usage might affect your account's subscription level and pricing. For example, you can see:
- How much your organization's departments or sub-accounts are contributing to billable New Relic usage. This is useful, for example, if your organization uses IT chargebacks.
- How close you are to going above your Insights Pro subscription level.
To understand your product usage, use any of these resources:
- View Usage UI pages to get an overview of your New Relic product usage.
- Download usage data CSVs and use other UI features.
- Run NRQL queries or use Insights query API calls to retrieve focused usage data.
View usage data in UI
Only the account Owner and Admins can view the usage UI. However, anyone in your account can query usage data using the
NrDailyUsage Insights event.
To view New Relic subscription usage data:
- Go to the account dropdown and select Account settings.
- For an overview of account usage across all products, select Usage.
- To view usage for a specific product, select its Usage page.
Every New Relic product has its own unit of measurement to calculate usage. For example, Insights tracks the number of events, and Mobile tracks monthly active users. Aside from the unit of measurement, the UI charts and features are similar for all products.
Here are some of the general features available on New Relic usage UI pages. For product-specific UI and calculation details, see the product usage documentation.
|If you want to...||Do this...|
|Switch time range||Use the Time picker to switch between the view of the data from the current calendar month and the data from the last 30 days. All time measurements in the UI use Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).|
|Switch to different account levels||To select account levels, such as customer partnerships, master accounts, and sub-accounts, select Scope to.|
|Download CSV||On product-specific usage pages, select Download CSV to get a comma-separated value file. The columns and data in the CSV match the data shown in the UI.|
|Group data||On product-specific pages, the default chart view is organized by Account name. To switch to other ways of grouping your data, such as by application or host, select Group by.|
|View query||Mouse over a chart and select [fa-ellipsis-h], then select View query. You will have an option to View in Insights.|
|See chart segment details||To display more details on charts with multiple segments, mouse over any segment.|
Query usage data
New Relic stores your usage data as an
NrDailyUsage event type. The usage charts have an associated NRQL query that, when run in Insights, is close to what you see in the UI.
For product-specific attributes and example NRQL queries, select a product: