New Relic Logs offers a fast, scalable log management platform that allows you to connect your log data with the rest of your telemetry data. Pre-built plugins with some of the most common open source logging tools makes it simple to send your data from anywhere to New Relic.
Access and limitations
This service is currently generally available free of charge until October 15th, 2019 ("Free Period") to all New Relic Pro-level accounts, subject to these limitations:
- Usage limit of 5 terabytes a day of uncompressed logs, and a monthly ("Usage Cap") of 150 terabytes of uncompressed logs. All Logs subject to the Usage Cap will be retained for 8 days free of charge. Any change to the retention period for Logs beyond such periods may result in a charge to you.
- New Relic reserves the right to restrict your free access for this service at any time upon notice to you, including after: (i) the Usage Cap is exceeded, or (ii) the initial Free Period, but New Relic may increase or extend either case at its sole discretion.
How to bring in your logging data
An active paid or trial New Relic Logs subscription is required.
Use New Relic Logs with compatible logging tools to see all of your logging data in one centralized location. Once Logs is enabled, connect your logs with your APM data, Kubernetes clusters, or distributed tracing to get additional contextual logging data with the APM logs-in-context feature (currently in beta).
To get started using Logs:
- Enable New Relic Logs.
- Enable APM logs-in-context for Logs.
- Use the Logs UI to review, search, and filter your log data.
Why New Relic for logging?
As applications move towards the cloud, microservices architectures are becoming more dispersed and the number of log files and the amount of log data has increased to the point where log monitoring systems are essential.
New Relic Logs provides deeper visibility into application and infrastructure performance data (events and errors) to reduce mean-time-to-resolve (MTTR) and quickly troubleshoot production incidents. It does this by providing super-fast searching capabilities, alerts, and co-location of application, infrastructure, and log data, while visualizing everything from a single pane of glass.
New Relic Logs features
Logs provides a way to connects your log data with the rest of your telemetry data, allowing you to get to the root cause of problems quickly, without losing context switching between tools.
New Relic Logs features include:
- Search through your logs at lightning-fast speeds.
- Quickly visualize your log data directly from the Logs UI.
- Use logging data to create custom charts, dashboards, and alerts.
- Troubleshoot performance issues without switching between tools.